iPhone Camera Does Not Scan QR Codes: QR (Quick Response) codes are used to show digital information in a picture. They are now common in a lot of places. For instance, many restaurants no longer give out paper menus.
Instead, you have to scan a QR code to get to the digital menu. The iPhone and iPad can both read QR codes. Just open the Camera app and point the camera at the QR code. The code will be automatically read by your device, which will then show you a message. If the code in the notification is a link, it will open when you tap the notification.
Since iOS 11, the built-in Camera app has been able to scan QR codes. This makes it possible for people with an iPhone or iPad to scan QR codes without having to download an app.
Have you ever had a situation where your camera didn’t recognize the code and showed you a message? Many Camera QR scanning users have said that it doesn’t work for them. In this article, I show you how to deal with this problem. Fixing it is easy, which is good news.
iPhone Camera Does Not Scan QR Codes
Turn on Scan QR Codes
This should be turned on by default. But for some reason, this feature is turned off in the Camera section of the Settings app for some users. To use this feature, all you have to do is turn it on. How to do it:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap Camera.
- As you can see below, turn on Scan QR Codes. If it was already on, turn it off, wait 5 seconds, and then turn it back on.
Check the settings on your camera
The following things have to happen:
- Make sure the camera facing the back is used. QR codes can’t be read by the Selfie (front camera). So, make sure the QR code is facing the camera on the back.
- There are different modes in the Camera app, such as Video, Portrait, and Pano. Make sure the Photo mode is chosen. If you swipe left or right, you can change the camera mode.
- In either landscape or portrait mode, your camera should be able to read the QR code. But if you’re having trouble, you can still try different orientation modes.
Make sure nothing is in the way of the camera
The back camera might not be able to see the QR code because something is in the way. I already told you that you need to use the back camera. Check out these as an example:
There may be dirt or dust in the Camera that is keeping it from working right. Use a soft cloth to wipe the camera gently.
Do you use a case? Try taking it out and starting over. Some cases may block the view of the camera.
Make sure that your finger or hand is not in the way of what you can see.
Change and start over
First, make sure that the iOS or iPadOS on your iPhone or iPad is the most recent version. To see if there are any new updates, go to Settings > General > Software Update. If there is an update, tap the Download and Install button, then follow the on-screen instructions to update your device. After the update, try again to scan a QR code.
After making sure your iPhone or iPad is up to date, restart it. Open Camera and try again after restarting.
Open the Camera app again.
If the problem keeps happening, you can restart the camera app. How to do it:
- Open the app switcher on your iPhone or iPad:
- If your device doesn’t have a Home button, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and stop in the middle. Then find and swipe up on the Camera app.
- If your device has a “Home” button, press it twice. Swipe up on the Camera app to open it.
- Close the app, then open it back up and try again.